Wednesday, August 29, 2012

It's been a rough few weeks

A few weeks ago, Sean was playing basketball with the neighborhood men trying to relive their glory days... as he reached over to get the ball, his back completely gave out and he crumbled to the ground. He couldn't get up, was in so much pain. We got him up and moving a little bit, our neighbor Matt who is an athletic trainer tried to help him with some stretches, we put some ice on it, didn't think it was a big deal. He went inside and crawled into bed to lay down.

That night, he couldn't move. His back was causing him so much pain, he couldn't move his legs, it was awful. I didn't know how to help him. It was a struggle to get him to the bathroom... I think it took about 15 minutes of me trying to help him. I remember asking if he needed me to get Matt to come over to help lift him, if he needed me to call an ambulance to get him to a hospital. Everything was a no- but more out of embarrassment.

I got him in the next morning to an orthopedist- thank goodness for friendships that I maintained through my business relationships and having personal email/cell phone numbers. We saw him at 9:30 and after exam and x-rays it was determined that he had a bulging disc and it was degenerative.. so it was bound to happen, it was just a matter of when.He was put on medications, given a shot and about a week later was feeling almost normal again.

And I say almost, because while at the orthopedist, he brought up that he was having issues with what he was presuming was a hernia. He actually brought the hernia up to a different doctor a few years ago and was kind of blown off. The orthopedist confirmed it and referred him to a surgeon who's field handles hernias. Well he saw the surgeon on Thursday (which incidentally was his birthday) and the surgeon said he had a significant tear and wanted to proceed as soon as possible.

So- Monday morning, we went to the hospital and his surgery was complete. We thought it was going to be laparoscopic, but for some reason, he didn't do it that way. He has a significant scar and is in a lot of pain. Thank goodness my mom gave him a cane to use, or else I don't know how he would be getting around. I have taken off of work the last few days to be with him. It's been a rough recovery. Hernia surgery is no joke.
Prepped and ready for surgery

Almost go time

 The board I would monitor to see his status

I'm just glad he's home and waiting for the day he feels normal again. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, oh my goodness- you and the family have endured a lot the last few weeks. Hope the hubby is feeling better in no time. Best of luck to everyone.

    I found you on the August Networking Hop and hope when time gets a little less hectic you take a minute to stop by Dedicated 2 Life and visit. Wishing you all the best.

    Irish at