On Saturday, my parents came over to celebrate.
my mom makes him the sweetest cards. This was this year's- he's a pirate on his number 5 boat.
His actual birthday was Sunday and we had a laid back kind of day. He opened presents in the morning and then we did whatever he wanted.
We went to breakfast- Owen's choice:
then played around the neighborhood and road bikes (he learned how to ride without training wheels about a week ago),
then we went to a kiddie park with our friends from the neighborhood.
Tacos for dinner (Owen's pick) and we called it a day. Success!
Though, Quinlin wasn't too thrilled that the day wasn't all about her. Poor little lady.
- Not much has changed between 4 and 5 growth wise. He is in 4T shorts, 4T and 5T shirts and size 11 shoes.
- I am not sure how tall he is as his physical is in a few weeks, but he is still about 36/38 pounds. He is really lean but has a nice, athletic build to him. Definitely has daddy's body and daddy's legs.
- His hair is darkening up a bit. Not as blond as it was last summer. More of a dirty blond color.
- This year, he loves swimming! I signed him up for swim lessons again and he did really well this year. Not afraid- and almost a little too not afraid as he begs to take off his water wings. But- he is doing well, loves to go under and loves to show off his moves of what he has learned.
- He also loves playing outside- football, basketball, riding his bike (yay on his own too- such a big boy!
- Preschool was great for him. By 5 he can count foever, knows most letters and can write his name. Still needs some help and practice with some letters and writing, but he gets it. One more year before kindergarten will be good for him.
- Friends are still huge for him. Aside from the friends in the neighborhood, he has developed great friendships with the kids from school. We find ourselves constantly planning playdates or trips to the movies. I'm a little sad that he's not going to kindergarten and all his friends are moving on, but I know this is the best thing for him.
- He seriously is so sweet. When asking him what he wanted for his birthday, he said whatever we wanted to get him. And when opening gifts, he ensured Quinlin could have some presents to play with too. I'm so proud.
I asked Owen a series of questions and will be asking this every year on his birthday. You can read age 3 answers here and age 4 answers here. Here are his responses from this year:
1. What's your name? Owen Patrick ______
2. How old are you? 5
3. Where do you live? here (though when asked again, he gave his full address)
4. what is your favorite color? blue
5. what do you want to be when you grow up? a dentist
6. who is your favorite person? Daddy and Mama
7. who's your best friend? Daddy, Mama and Quinny. from school- Patrick
8. what is your favorite tv show? Bubble Guppies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Spongebob
9. what is your favorite food? tacos
10. what is your favorite drink? warmer water (much prefers from the faucet as opposed to filtered from the fridge)
11. what do you like to do for fun? play outside
12. what do you like to play outside? ride my bike or play with my friends
13. what is your favorite song? I Love It by Icona Pop (though he calls it Snooki and JWow)
14. what is your favorite movie? The Simpsons Movie
15. what is your favorite book? Pete the Cat