Friday, February 22, 2013

Tiny Dancer


Quinlin started dance class in January. I had to wait until she turned 3, so we got her into the class mid-season. When she started, she was very hesitant, shy, unsure of herself. About a month and a half into it, she loves it. It's Saturday mornings, and it's hard to get out the door sometimes, but once we're there, she's good.

I found the secret to our success is getting there 10 minutes before class starts. This gives her time to go in, find the square she wants to start on right away, and time to warm up a bit (when we first started, she took the first 10 minutes just sitting there watching, now she actually participates).



Sean went with me to the first class. The kids go in the dance room alone and the parents sit outside and watch through a window. Sean found some of the other women to be too chatty and catty so doesn't like to go and watch. Me? I love it. I don't know if it's because she's my little girl, or because she's my last, but I like to go and watch and take everything in. I either sit in the back with the other mom's or sometimes stand on the other side of the room and watch through another window (I can actually hear better when I do it that way). I don't want to miss a thing.




She really has gotten the hang of it and even does some of her moves at home when we're playing. They have the cutest sayings that make the kids remember and cute little songs that make them interested (so I don't forget, the legs in the air is popcorn, shaking the head is- I like dance class- shake your head yes- I don't like stinky shoes- shake your head no, point together clap, step and point- too cold, step and point- too hot, Good morning, good morning, good morning all over the world!)

The big recital is in May and the whole dance school is doing dances to a theme of books. Quinlin's class is an ode to the Chicken Soup for the Soul books. All I know is I just spent $45 on a yellow feather costume for her to be a chicken (and they jump out of a soup bowl in the beginning).

Here's hoping by the time that recital rolls around that she'll be a happy little chicken. I have visions of the class dancing and her being a chicken in a little ball on the side of the stage not doing anything.

1 comment:

  1. How adorable! I can't wait to see the photos from the recital. All those little ones are precious in their leotards.
    Have a great weekend,
    Laurie
    Lulu and Daisy

    ReplyDelete